It’s tempting to consider that the most amazing version of you—you know, the one that’s more successful, doing something you love, and just overall a happier person—will coming into existence at some abstract point far off in the future. It’s like you consider yourself as you are now as the “regular season,” and are just waiting for the “playoffs” to start so you can kick into gear and give it your all.
But if all you’re doing is waiting for that most awesome version of you to manifest, you’ll find you’ll never progress beyond the current version.
So how do you become your most amazing self?
Sometimes, a major change needs to be made to become the best you that you can be. If such a thought crossed your mind recently, then it’s time to act on it.
Start making progress today with these 20 tips:
- Show up. For example, if your desire is to run a marathon, lace up your shoes and hit the track. Even if you don’t have any prior experience, and you only make it around the block on your first time out, you’ll still be closer to your overall goal than if you put in no work at all.
- Start at the beginning. You won’t just stumble upon your most awesome self. You have to start at the very beginning and take many small steps to improve yourself.
- Realize that the most awesome version of you should be your own vision. Don’t waste your energy trying to transform yourself into what someone else wants you to become.
- Stop looking for shortcuts. There aren’t any secret or miraculous that will turn you into the best version of you.
- Use social media to network. It’s easier than ever to connect with powerful and influential people. Even high-level executives host “ask-me-anything” and other such networking events on social media, including Twitter and Reddit. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice. Execs often reply with helpful tips and information about open positions.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Just be sure you’re going in the right direction. You likely don’t have all the information right now to discern the shortest path to lead you to happiness five years from now. But you likely have general ideas about what that right direction is. Start heading that way.
- Appreciate your opportunities. Knowledge used to be stashed away in the minds of intellectuals and hidden in the pages of books. Now it’s easier than it’s ever been to learn new skills. Knowledge is an integral component of becoming your best self.
- Don’t track your time. It doesn’t matter. Think about your last exercise session on a treadmill. If you checked your timer every few seconds, you probably didn’t enjoy your run. This, in turn, made it more difficult for you to run very far.
But if you plugged in your earbuds, lost yourself in the music, and focused on one stride at a time, resisting the temptation to keep checking the timer, you likely realized that you actually enjoyed your run and were able to make it pretty far. Tracking time spent will just slow you down and keep you from achieving your goal.
- Let other people help you. Don’t allow your pride to get in your way. Lots of successful people ask for help along their way.
- Launch a website. Maintaining a personal online presence will inspire you to be the most awesome version of yourself.
- Scrupulously study the habits, thoughts, and dialogue of your favorite successful person, whether they’re alive or dead. This will give you ideas on how you can become the best version of yourself.
- Don’t play the social media comparison game. People display an overly optimistic version of their lives on Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and other social media sites, generally sharing only good things, not bad. Comparing yourself to what others share of themselves on social media will just hurt you.
- Celebrate the little victories. Acknowledging the good things you’re doing right now will help motivate you to keep working towards your overall goal.
- Don’t pretend you know things that you don’t really know. You will never learn anything new if you mislead yourself to believe that you already know everything.
- Own your failures. You won’t become the best possible version of you by playing things safe. In fact, experiences like getting fired may end up being the best things that ever happen to you.
- Stay in touch with your family and be open to the lessons they can teach you. These lessons are inaccessible to pretty much everybody else in the world.
- Exercise every day. Choose the optimal time for you. You will soon become more relaxed and focused throughout the rest of the day.
- Stay active with pleasurable side projects. Productive pastimes outside of your work environment that make you happy can only help you become a more awesome version of you. Whatever it is, spend time doing it during your free time. It may even turn into a career that you love!
- Pay it forward. Help others become their best selves. This will not only motivate you on your own path, but will help you realize that lasting connections built from helping others will benefit you as you all move forward.
- Launch your best self as soon as possible. If you’re unsatisfied with your current version of you, then the fastest way to resolve this issue is to start working on the better version as soon as you can. The only “right time” to get started is right now!